Pages

Kitchen Emergencies...and Chorizo

3/8/13
Yesterday evening was quite the adventure.

On the menu was chorizo con huevos (or, in 'Merican terms, "sausage and eggs"). But chorizo isn't just any pork sausage. It has a spicy, savory, magical quality to it that makes you want to eat pounds of it and never, ever look at the fat content. Seriously, never do that. It's a bad idea. But really, no one ever expects sausage to be a health food.

Anyway, so before I was going to start dinner, I needed to clean up the kitchen a bit to make room. I was cleaning the supplies from a recipe that I found on Pinterest and we absolutely LOVE: baked homemade Sriracha chips. YUM.

So here I am, feeling quite domesticated, washing dishes, when I reached down to wash our kitchen mandolin, which I use to slice the potatoes into thin disks. I must have spaced out, because I know how sharp that kitchen tool is. Well, to spare you the gory details, I cut my finger. BAD.

Matt, after administering some first aid, decided that perhaps he would cook dinner.

And so, for your entertaining and culinary pleasure: Chef Matt!

Just look at the master work.


Chorizo con Huevos
  • Chorizo, 10 oz. (you can find this in most grocery stores, but if you can't find it in yours, check out your local Mexican goods store. Theirs would probably be even better!)
  • Eggs (I used 3)
  • Corn salsa (I made mine a few days prior, using corn--fresh, canned or frozen--diced onions, diced jalapenos, black beans, and cilantro)
  • Flour tortillas (learn how to make your own here!)
  1. Put your chorizo into a pan and brown on medium heat. You won't need any oil in the pan. Trust me, the chorizo has enough grease!
  2. Once your chorizo is browned, drain it off by putting the browned chorizo in a colander. Do not rinse.
  3. Put your drained chorizo back into your pan (you don't need to rinse out the pan), throw in three eggs, and scramble. 
  4. Throw in your corn salsa to heat through.
  5. Warm up your tortillas in the microwave or oven.
  6. Scoop up some chorizo mixture onto your tortillas, top with some cheese, roll, and enjoy! This is one of Matt and my best guilty pleasures...it is SO GOOD!



Looking at the picture makes me wish I had some right now. :( Good thing it's so easy to make!

But for now, we have to say goodbye to the beauty of Mexican cuisine. Adios!

Next up, Spanish cuisine! Hola!

I'm thinking paella. Any other ideas Spanish food to try? Please let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment