Pages

2/27/13
Until I researched Brazil for you, my dear readers, it was never a country I wanted to visit in the slightest, simply because I was so terrified of looking like an ugly duck amongst what I hear are the most beautiful women in the world (I'm looking at you, Gisele).
So pretty I can't even dislike her.

That may still very well be true, but in researching the country I quickly came to realize that it has much more to offer than bikinis and beaches (although I'm sure they don't hurt the Brazilian tourism business!).

Put simply, Brazil is cool. Well, actually, it's probably pretty hot and moist, since much of it is covered in rainforest, but you get my point.

Take, for example, this tidbit of knowledge: Brazil is the fifth largest country both in size and population (thanks, Wikipedia!), and it is the only Portuguese-speaking country in the Americas.

Ah, I can see you are not easily impressed.

How about this: Brazil's colonial name under the Portuguese was "Land of the Holy Cross." Yeah, didn't ring to me, either. European sailors and merchants who traveled there came to call it "Land of Brazil," thanks to the braziltrees that grew along the coast. The genius that is Wikipedia also reports that sailors often referred to it as "Land of the Parrots." Now that's a name I could work with.

Not doing it for you?

This one surprised me: Brazil has the largest Roman Catholic following in the world; more than 70% of the population profess the Catholic faith. 

It's amazing to think that Brazil was colonized in 1500 and only gained its independence in 1822. It's easy to forget sometimes, when you're used to the American history timeline, how old these places really are. Imagine this: the first Jamestown settlers didn't set food onto North American soil until more than 100 years after the Portuguese colonized the vast country of Brazil.

Brazil isn't solely a copy of Portuguese culture, however; their traditions are influenced by other European cultures, indigenous peoples' traditions, and even African customs (a fact that recalls Brazil's past of using African slaves to harvest sugar).

Brazilian cuisine is very unique, too. This week, I'm going to try Pao de Queijo, a Brazilian cheesy bread that they apparently enjoy for breakfast or snacks.

Wish me luck! Results of this adventure are coming soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment