Pages

Renaissance Festival...à la Poland

4/11/13
I hope you guys are ready for the coolest thing ever.

Today's history lesson comes to you from one of the best, friendliest, most comfortable countries to find yourself in the world: Poland. Yay!

My parents and I visited Poland several years ago on our trip to the Baltic states, and I have been touting the country's beauty and its inhabitants' generosity ever since. Seriously, if you want to go somewhere unique that feels just like home, go to Poland. And for Pete's sake, order yourself some of their delicious food, too. (I had a sausage and veggie stew in Marienburg, Poland that I haven't been able to forget, even seven years since!)

But what I really wanted to share with you today is the endearing story of Marlbork Castle, a castle established in the 15th century by the Teutonic knights.

Marlbork Castle, Poland

It's an absolutely breathtaking building, nestled in the deep green forests of Poland. Built from red brick (which is not exactly what you think of first when you think "castle"), it's apparently the largest castle in the world in terms of surface area (thanks, Wikipedia!).

When my mom, dad, and I got to Marlbork Castle, there seemed to be a rather large and vibrant Renaissance Festival going on, although no one spoke in the affected Olde English verbiage we're used to associating with those sorts of events. No, these folks spoke Polish, and they weren't at all silly, not even in jester costumes or Medieval gowns. They were nothing more and nothing less than absolutely charming. Several tourists, also magnetized by the festival's bizarre placement next to a Teutonic castle in the year 2006, were being instructed by a man dressed as a squire in the fine art of archery. Women in long flowing gowns walked about the castle's grounds and chatted in bright, cheery Polish tones.

Meanwhile, the trio from Grand Island, Nebraska just stood and stared, enchanted.

After some time, we tore ourselves away from the spectacle and entered the castle. After walking through several thick brick archways and across several drawbridges, we came to the innermost castle wall and passed under what seemed to be a series of overturned buckets on strings. This, I overheard a tour guide explain, was once used as a way for knights to defend the castle in time of attack. The buckets could be filled with scalding hot liquids (water, oil, tar...take your gruesome pick) and dumped on would-be attackers as a last defense.

Yikes.

Shaking the image of hot oil being dumped on my head out of said head, I walked into a serene courtyard, and all the noise of the Renaissance festival and chatting tourists faded away. It was like the place swallowed sound.

This was the castle's monastery.

I never say this, and I generally detest the touchy-feely nature of the expression, but this was a spiritual experience. (Go ahead, roll your eyes. I would. Just do it and get it over with so we can continue. Good? Good.) As more visitors streamed into the courtyard, they quickly stopped their conversations and were left only with the same placid look of wonder on their faces. We toured the castle rooms, one by one, amazed by the stone architecture and the work that these ancient brave men must have done to protect such a beautiful, holy place.

As we circled back toward the courtyard gate, I noticed a group of people bottlenecked at the entrance of a room guarded by towering wooden doors. I joined the crowd of feet shuffling forward through the doorway, expecting to see another room of stone and mortar.

Instead, I saw blue sky and rubble.

Apparently, Marlbork Castle was the unfortunate pawn in a Nazi-Soviet battle during the Second World War. Russian troops holed up in the castle, sure that no harm would be inflicted on such a treasured piece of history. Instead, they were met with artillery fire.

After the war, the Polish restored the wounded castle, but left one room--the chapel--untouched as a reminder to all of the horrors that war can make man commit against fellow man.

It is for this reason that I have every respect for this holy place, and will always remember that moment of seeing the demolished chapel, destroyed by war. I wish I would have had the sense to take a photo, but I guess I figured that not picture could ever capture the gravity of the experience.

My mom and I posed for this picture just as we were leaving Marlbork Castle.

This is another one of those places you just have to put on your travel bucket list. Trust me, you won't regret it.

...but really, try the Polish food, too. It's DELISH! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment