Pages

Foodie: The New Four-Letter Word

8/25/13

I was reminded upon reading this article the other day on Buzzfeed, of an incident that occurred this past May as I was sitting in one of the very last classes of my graduate career.

The professor was discussing the importance of having a blog for promoting oneself after graduation, and asked if there were any bloggers in the class. I raised my hand, and after giving a brief explanation of "Wanderlust and Second Helpings," my professor smiled knowingly and asked, "Would you consider yourself a foodie?"

I sat for a time in stunned silence. I had never before considered myself a foodie, but then, I'd never been asked. I have always loathed foodies, or at least the idea that I had of them. To me, "foodie" is just another word for the "unfun-don't-invite-them-to-the-party-because-they're-food-snobs" guy. Foodies are the people Instagram-ing every dish (along with a shot of their feet while lounging at the beach, a photo of a summer sunset--#nofilter--and of course, the obligatory selfie). They're the ones who sneer at bargain brands and who won't settle for anything less than a tall soy chai latte for their morning pick-me-up.

Right? Right?!

Well, according to Buzzfeed, foodies are people who don't like eating at chain restaurants, the ones who only refer you to the hole-in-the-wall ethnic restaurants, and the ones who cut into your conversation about how they had authentic [insert dish here] in [insert country here].

Aw crap. Am I a foodie?

I talked myself down from this crisis identity ledge just as I answered my professor this past May: No, I do not necessarily consider myself to be a foodie. Why not? I believe that to truly consider oneself a foodie, one must display certain personality traits when talking with others about food. You know, a certain air of superiority, of knowing better. In other words, you have to be kind of a jerk.

I don't consider myself a foodie because I don't think there really is any more room in the world for people who act like they know so much better than others. Sure, I don't particularly like eating at chain restaurants, I tend to love the hole-in-the-wall ethnic restaurants, and thanks to this blog I do sometimes add in a story or two about trying a certain food in a certain foreign place. But I try not to be a jerk about it. Or at least, I hope I don't seem like one.

Food is an adventure, and instead of pretending that we know so much more than everybody else about what makes good food, we "foodies"--whether we reject the designation or not!--should be trying to encourage people to experience it for themselves, to break free of the mold of chain restaurants, the "safe" menu item to order, and God forsaken queso.

Because food is an adventure, I'm always encouraging trying the local ingredients, the local restaurants, and the dish that's going to give every one of you dear readers the chance to tell the story about that one time you were in [place] and ate [bizarre/creepy/delicious thing].

But please, for the love of God, don't Instagram all of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment