Pages

A Shameless Plug for Springfield, IL

6/18/13
Hey all! Hope everyone's having a great summer so far. (Technically, the first day of summer is this Friday, June 21, but we all know what's up.)

We've been here in Springfield for about two and a half weeks, and things are going pretty well so far (a.k.a. I haven't received my credit card bill yet...let's just say we've been to Target a few times.) To keep you updated on things here at Casa de Heidrick, I figured I'd post something I don't do very often: non-food pictures! So here are some memories from our most recent adventure in downtown Springfield:


Yes, I know it's a trash can. And yes, it was odd and kind of gross that I crouched, face only six inches from the trash can, to get this photo. Eh, I've done weirder things.

The Old State Capitol, where Abe Lincoln was sworn in as a lawyer in the State of Illinois. Isn't it cool how it's just sitting right smack dab in the middle of the city?!


The view of old store fronts, standing on the south steps of the Old State Capitol.

But because it wouldn't be a Betsey blog post if there wasn't food somehow involved, I wanted to share with you a little treat Matt and I encountered later that day: Smash Burger.

Yep. Smash Burger. A burger joint, but not just any burger joint.

Good Lord, why has Nebraska hidden this gem, this Nectar of the Gods, from me for so long? I mean, this burger place isn't like McDonald's, where you basically get two pieces of spongy cork held together by a resurrected frozen burger patty and broken dreams. Smash Burger has legitimate, good-quality ingredients. I was especially jacked about the make-your-own-burger option which included--wait for it--bleu cheese, my FAVORITE! (Well now I wonder what you think of me, taking photos of garbage cans and enjoying moldy cheese.)

Matt and I were floored by the Smash Fries, which are this lovely collection of fried potato-y goodness that includes coarse salt and rosemary. Yes, ROSEMARY! I feel like the simple inclusion of herbs beyond parsley qualifies any restaurant above "fast food joint." And you can choose between the old reliable Russets or sweet potatoes. We predictably chose both.

To all those anti-fries people out there, I say this: Fries fill the cracks in the heart. There is literally no problem in the world that fries can't fix. Except diabetes. Fries cannot fix diabetes.

BEHOLD! And on the fifteenth day in Springfield the Lord said "Thou shall eat Smash Fries." And it was good.
This is what happiness/gluttony looks like.

Do any of you guys out there have Smash Burger in your town? I feel like this is my new Runza, which is a heaven-sent mélange of beef and cabbage bundled together in a oven-warmed, golden bun (another delivery straight from Fast Food Heaven). To all those who aren't from Nebraska, you can read the love poem--I mean blog post--I wrote for Runza here.

Next recipe up...affogato! Go ahead and Google it now...it'll blow your mind. Those Italians think of everything!

Peace and love (but no leftover Smash Fries) to you all! - Betsey

No comments:

Post a Comment