Pages

Family Ties

7/26/13
Family is awesome, don't you think? Well, sometimes. After typing that phrase I was reminded of sharing a room with my older sister, being called "Buttsey" by my older brother, and years of sitting in the back middle car seat on long family road trips.

But let's just say that this past weekend family more than made up for all those horrendous car rides across eastern Colorado. My parents dared the nearly 9 hour drive from Grand Island, Nebraska to Springfield, Illinois, and once they got here, we didn't give them much time to put their feet up. President Lincoln sites were visited, food was eaten, drinks were enjoyed, and puppies were given toys. (Fun fact: it took Mojo only 10 minutes to completely eviscerate one of the new toys, an unfortunate plush hedgehog.)

It was great having family here. I can only watch Matt play Call of Duty, and he can only pretend to be interested in hearing about what I found today on Pinterest, for so long.

I got a fun package from my in-laws as well; Matt's mom took my request of "If you find any ethnic ingredients for cheap and send them I promise I won't be mad," as an opportunity to stuff a large box full of discoveries from China Town in San Francisco. We had so much fun opening the box and pulling out the interesting contents within.

An assortment of fun finds from China Town...plus some chipotle in adobo.

I have no idea what these are...but they look interesting.
 
Macaroni?!

Candied sweet potatoes...still too afraid to try.

She also sent a fun French-language Magnificat, which was a randomly awesome find.

My French-language Magnificat, and some people who look suspiciously super excited to be going to church.

Sometimes, it's so nice to get a reminder that family ties are stronger than the distance that separates you, and that home is only a phone call, a postage stamp...or a 9-hour drive away.

I think that I'm going to do some research on these goodies from China Town. Anybody have any idea what they are?!

Until next time!

-Betsey

No comments:

Post a Comment